Prior to 1801 there were only a few trails which were traveled by horsemen or more often on foot. At the 1801 town meeting it was resolved to start laying out roads. These early roads were probably a widening of the trails to accommodate the width of a wagon or an ox team.
|From 1801-1843 the roads were the responsibility of the property owners. Apparently over the years more and more roads were laid out because highway overseers numbered 15 in 1804 and 41 in 1843. There were so many in fact that the town purchased a book to keep road records in.
|In 1844 a Highway Commission was established and the commissioner was to fix permanent boundaries for the roads. The property owners were still responsible for the work but the commissioner was to see that the work was done. He was also to check each year to see that the work was completed.
In 1875 the population of Edinburg was 1,495 (from the year 2000 census it is 1,384); the Highway Commissioner, Daniel Gordon, was making $200.00 a year and a new highway was being built starting at Wait and Noyes Store in Batchellerville (now the Old Country Store).
In 1895 the town bought their first road scraper for $110.92. By 1899 the cost of a scraper had risen to $275.32 (perhaps this was a larger one).
By 1910 property owners were to build approaches (driveways?) to the road at their own expense under the direction of the road superintendent.
In 1914 a road worker was making $.19 per hour and teams plowing the roads (horses plus a man) were making $.35 per hour.
In 1919 a completed road cost $1,005.00; blanket insurance was taken out on the road workers and a road machine was purchased for $200.00.
A large snowfall in 1922 cost the town more than usual for snow removal. Land was purchased from the Methodist Church to make a safer corner. At this time our Edinburg four corners was only two corners.
In 1923 the town refused to pay for broken auto springs caused by rough roads but the following year a woman did collect $300.00 for damages received on road construction.
The new county road from Edinburg to Northampton was built in 1925. By 1926 the road superintendent was getting $5.00 per day and $40.00 per mile to keep the roads in shape.
With the creation of the Sacandaga Reservoir, 40 miles of new highway were built around the reservoir in 1927-1930.
All the town roads were dirt until the 1950's when the process began to blacktop them. A government funded plan (the Erwin Plan) made this possible.
By the 1970's Edinburg was crisscrossed with almost 80 miles of highway (approx. 35 miles Town and 44 miles County). In 1975 the highway department moved from the old town barn (site of the Rural Museum) into the new town hall/barn complex on Military Road.
Edinburg Town Hall - 45 Military Road - Edinburg, New York - 12134 - (518) 863-2034