The first teacher in Edinburgh was Daniel Abbott from Connecticut. Around 1812, school was being held in the home of Abijah Stark near the Edinburgh-Providence town line. A Legislative Act of 1812 created a statewide public school system. At this time 8 school districts were set up in the town. By 1860, there were 12 districts with a total of 577 pupils ranging in age from 5 to 21 years.
Many of the early schools were of logs, later replaced by lumber. Each building consisted of one room to hold grades 1 to 8 plus a cloakroom and woodshed. The restroom was the little house out back. A large pot-bellied stove stood in the center of the classroom for heat and drying wet socks and mittens. On a very cold winter day a child could roast on one side of his body and freeze on the other. Some of the early desks were nothing more than rough boards. Later, manufactured desks appeared. The water fountain was a pail with a dipper in it on a bench in the back of the room. Everyone shared the same dipper.
|Lunch was carried from home in a lunch pail. There were no reference books but you might have had a very ancient globe of the world. There weren't many books, but what they had were interesting. The children supplied their own paper and pencils. The school district's board of trustees, which usually consisted of one person, supplied the firewood for the stove. The teacher boarded at a home in the district, often that of the trustee. A teachers average pay in the early 1900's was $30.00 per month.
The children and often the teacher, walked from a mile to a mile and a half to school. School was never closed for bad weather no matter how deep the snow.
|Discipline was never a great problem. If a child did get out of hand, usually a talk with the parent settled the problem immediately. Each day was started with a Bible reading, the Lord's Prayer and saluting the flag. The teacher was the principal, nurse, music teacher, physical education teacher and whatever else was needed of him or her.
There was no playground equipment. The children created their own games and entertainment. The children at Rock Hill gained much of their fun playing on a large rock in the middle of the road in front of the school from whence the school got its name.
Beecher Hollow School
|In the 1920's the State had a master plan for education. There was a trend to build a larger school and bring in the small schools since there were less and less students in the one room schools.
Such was the plan for Edinburg. This plan also came at a time when Edinburg would need a place for the schools forced out by the flooding of the Sacandaga Valley. The idea of consolidation ran no smoother in the 1920's than in more recent years. Many angry parents and taxpayers journeyed to Albany to voice their opposition. Many meetings and discussions were held in town. They were overruled, and in 1930, the new, larger "Edinburg Consolidated School" was in operation on Sinclair Road. It had two classrooms with grades 1 through 8.
Mrs. Person's Select School - Batchellerville
|Prior to 1912, there were 11,777 school districts in the state. In 1912, a state law provided for 208 District Superintendents to become administrators over the rural schools with approximately 50 schools in each supervisory area. Saratoga County had four districts.
From 1912-1966 there were only three district superintendents for the Edinburg Schools. Miss Ida M. Smith 1912-1916; Dr. A. M. Hollister 1916-1936; and Clayton H. Brown 1936-1966.
Residents may remember when Mr. Brown would visit our school? Students, always in awe of anyone in such high office, acted as though the President had come to call.
Students from the smaller schools came in gradually. The one room schools held out for as long as they could. The last one in Edinburg was Fox Hill School in 1941.
In 1941 an addition was built to the Edinburg Consolidated School, adding another classroom to the back of the building and providing for a cafeteria-auditorium area underneath.
The lunch program came into being sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Some of the early cooks were Mrs. Pauline Neelands, Mrs. Helen Ginter, Mrs. Ada Rockwell and Mrs. Ruth McCullough.
In the 1950's the 6th grade was sent to Northville Central School - the 7th and 8th grades having been sent over a number of years before.
In 1954, the school, in need of more room, built an addition consisting of two more classrooms, a gym/cafeteria, a kitchen and small office. Renovations were also done to the bus garage at this time since the newer buses were too high to be driven into the original garage.
|The Kindergarten program was introduced in the early 1960's and some years ago the 6th grade was brought back from Northville. The school contains grades K-6 and remained on Sinclair Road from 1930-1987 when it moved into the new school on Johnson Road, January 5, 1988. Grades 7-12 attend the Northville Central School located five miles away in the Village of Northville.
|The Sand Hill School became the Grange Hall and is now a private dwelling owned by Roy Pearsall, on the corner of Tange Road and Northville Road. The Clarkville School on Tennantville Road was used as a home for many years by Don and Iona Ganson. Iona attended school here as a girl. It burned in the 1960's and a new home was rebuilt on the site and is currently owned by their granddaughter and family, Wayne and Michele Seelow. The Edinburg Hill School on Military Road was used as a home for many years but now stands vacant. The Partridge School on Sinclair Road became the home of the late Marty and Eva Baur. Eva attended this school as a girl. This school is still a private dwelling. The Anderson School on South Shore Road is now a summer home owned by the Harnish family. The Tennantville School at the end of Tennantville Road is now the private home of Jim Tooley. The Rock Hill School on Military Road is no longer standing but the lilac bush that stood in its yard is alive and well.
Later in the 1800's a school was built on Fox Hill Road which is now the Pilgrim Holiness Church parsonage. The other old schools are now under water including the Batchellerville School, which was a two-story building. The bell from Cold Brook School is now in the belfry of the Nellie Tyrrell Museum. The Cold Brook School was moved to higher ground and is now the Mills & Vine family camp on North Shore Road.
Back to Top
Edinburg Town Hall - 45 Military Road - Edinburg, New York - 12134 - (518) 863-2034